Saturday, November 06, 2004

My Car Hung on Me

My Car Hung on Me

No, I am not going to cut and paste the whole article here. But I will just cut the juicy parts :

While driving my car along Nicoll Highway one day, the dashboard controls suddenly lit up and the car's engine died. All this happened while the car was going about 70kph. It was a horrifying experience, as I had no control over the steering wheel. Fortunately I avoided an accident.

And quite a few years back, I remember an article about a Thailand Finance Minister (could be another minister, I am not 100% sure) whose brand new BMW went dead on him. He was trapped in the rear seat. Driver couldn't do anything and was locked in the car as well. Bodyguards have to break through bullet-proof windows to rescue the poor minister who was trapped for more than 1 hour.

Having used computers, and being trained in IT and embedded systems before, we all know the scary thing about digital controls. They can die without symptoms. Unlike analog or mechanical devices.

Horror stories in my mind run amok :

What if my anti-theft car immobilizer suddenly activates and kills the engine when I am travelling at 90km/h on the highway ?

What if my anti-theft wheel locking device suddenly activates and locks all 4 of my wheels when I am speeding down the North-South-Highway in Malaysia ?

What if the ABS fails and causes the entire braking system to malfunction without warning ?

And those cars with all electronic throttle control suddenly fails and get stuck at "pedal to the metal" settings ?

At least, statistically, I can confort myself that the driving skills of myself or other drivers on the road will most probably kill me first, before any of the scenario above happens to me.

Thank god for wonderful people around to make my life safe.

No comments: