Saturday, November 06, 2004

Bitchy Me.

Read the following in today's Straits Times :

Have a Class 2(A) motorbike licence

Nov 6, 2004Have a Class 2(A) motorbike licence I REFER to the letter, 'Charge m-cyclists for manslaughter' (ST, Oct 9), by Mr Alan Lee Guok Ann. First, we must not forget that the learner rider is not required to carry a pillion rider during the riding test for a motorbike licence. So, how could one expect the rider, after getting his licence, to be skilful enough and confident in carrying a pillion rider on the road?

To prevent more fatal accidents, I would suggest that the following changes be made:

  • Issue a new Class 2(A) motorbike licence for those who plan to carry a pillion rider.
  • Have the learner rider pass the test carrying a pillion rider in order to qualify for the new licence.
  • Prohibit Class 2(A) riders from carrying a pregnant woman or child below the age of 18.
  • Prohibit existing Class 2 licence-holders from carrying a pillion rider.


Chia Chin Liang


-------


Wow ! Profound !


Hey, let me see, when I took my Class 3 driving license, I am not allowed to have passengers in the car. So it is me, and my instructor. So after I pass my driving test, how can I be expected to drive a car with more than 1 passenger on board ?


I will not be able to handle the extra load. I will not be able to know at what speed to make a turn, because the extra weight will affect the turning characteristics of the car. Worse, stopping distance will be longer ! How can I be expected to know all that ?


I would suggest :

  • Have a new Class 3(B) and 3(C) license, since 3(A) is already used for people who do not want to drive a manual stick-shift.
  • Class 3(B) will have additional 3 rear seat passengers on board, so that the driver knows how to handle the vehicle with so many people.
  • Class 3(B) will be for those drivers who plan to carry more passengers on board. Those who do not intend to carry passengers, will take class 3 only.
  • Class 3(C) will be similar to class 3(B) , except it is for those who intend to drive only Automatic Transmission cars.
  • Class 3(C) are for those who intend to carry passengers, otherwise, they will take Class 3(A) only.

Oh, hey, I forgot about cargo. Hmm.. Lets have 2 more classes of license..
Hey, how about those who wants to drive SUV ? They are taller, wider, and easier to topple compared to sedan cars. How about a Class 3.5 for them ?

No comments: