Saturday, November 27, 2004

An Ex Lawyer-wannabe

When I was very young, I had wanted to be a lawyer. I don't know why, but probably watching Hong Kong drama serials gave me the idea. Watching scenes of lawyers cross-examining witnesses, asking formidable questions.

Also, the fact that I like to argue contributed. Sometimes, I just like to play devil's advocate and argue for the sake of arguing, even if I do not agree with it myself. This helps me in being to see from other points of views. I am sure this is useful in many areas of my life in future.

Dream shattered when my father told me that being a lawyer in Singapore is useless. Can't win any case against the government, or any case that is likely to affect policies. Not much class-action cases. Not much sensational criminal-trials here. There is going to be only 1 David Marshall. That I will most probably end up handling divorce cases or property transactions.

Just happened to bump into a blog of a Lawyer Wannabe. What can I say, humourous and observant young man. All the best to him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least the legal profession is a protected one in Singapore. Unlike the engineers - where we have FTs from India and China by the bucketloads, no wait, truckloads.

www.livejournal.com/~nilsinelabore

Singapore Calamari said...

The legal profession is "protected" and "restricted". We need full control in Singapore. To ensure that everyone is a law-fearing citizen. :)

Not even a shadow of doubt should exist in who will win a lawsuit, especially one that involves the state or any of the GIC/GLC.

Alas I am not in the legal profession.

Maybe that is why no FTs coming to our legal line, because there is NO economic values ? Their expertise are UNLESS and UNWANTED in Singapore. The better they are, the more unwanted they are. :o