Monday, December 06, 2004

What is a rat race ?

I have an incomplete understand of the term "Rat Race". I always thought it means in the process of working to earn money. And that the only way out is to be financially independent.

Encountered 2 of my colleagues using this term recently, and so, being my usual self, I checked it out in my favourite Oxford dictionary :

rat race

• noun informal a way of life in which people are caught up in a fiercely competitive struggle for wealth or power.

As long as you are contended with your job and don't aim for too much, you can still be working at a day job, earning a decent day's pay, not be financially independent, but still free from the rat race.

Damn, with this new definition, I am still in a rat race, though not for the power.

Hmm.. Ok.. Everyday I find my level of knowledge getting worse.. Time for me not to be so opinionated and verify my facts. Ha Ha

No comments: