Saturday, December 25, 2004

My love-hate relationship with Australia

Throughout my life so far, I have always wanted to have a chance to work in another country. One of the main reason is at least a chance to migrate if I liked it.

The first opportunity I had was Australia. Sydney in particular. Was there in 1998, for an aggregate of 1 month. Was able to see the work, leisure and family life of people there. Went around town. Got to know Singaporeans who are studying and working there too. Had a feel of family-oriented lifestyle, partying lifestyle and generally soaking in the atmosphere.

Quite like the Sydney feel. I do not feel that much discrimination (or maybe it was too short to feel the subtle discriminations). Love the Cosmopolitan lifestyle. Chance to own nice houses and land.

Was given the opportunity to work there, full-time. However, due to some politics and managerial influence, the opportunity was taken away from me. I could have fought for it, but I guess at that time, I had someone I am committed and it is not easy to choose. That, and I only had a short time to decide.

The second opportunity was not so obvious. Took place over a drinking session. I am sure the manager of our Sydney branch was a bit high, and spoke too honestly. Brushed it aside, and did not want to pursue the lead, as it also conflicts with my current career directions.

The third opportunity was in-line with my career directions and my objectives. Again, personal commitment got in the way, in part. The other main part was the insecurity of the entire deal - setting up a new company in Australia.

So there you have it, in a nutshell. I guess the timing just wasn't right, or maybe I was just looking for excuses. I really do not know. I think I value personal commitments more, as it is more tangible at the time.

No regrets, so far. Maybe, there will be other opportunities. Maybe not. I just have to make the best out of everything I have, and not ask for too much.

I have to know what is closer to my heart and what is more important, especially if I have to choose again next time.



No comments: