Monday, March 07, 2005

Painful Weekend

Yesterday, I went with a group of friends to Wild Wild Wet at Pasir Ris. Was there at about 10 in the morning. Had breakfast at Burger King.

Now, an interesting conversation happened while ordering breakfast. Ordered Croissant meal, and the lady at the counter ask "Do you want Bacon, Sausage or Ham ?". I was pondering my choices verbally with my friend, trying to decide what kind of meat to take. It took me a full 15 seconds before I realize 2 things :

(1) The 3 choices are from the same animal - Pig
(2) Burger King is supposed to be a Halal Restaurant.

Then I looked at the lady. She looked Malay and her name tag says a Malay name. She even spoke with Malay accent. While she was preparing our orders, I quickly looked at the menu and sure enough, I found the Halal food logo there.

I bit my tongue to prevent myself from clarifying where their "Bacon, Sausage and Ham" came from. I was thinking the Sausage could be from chicken or beef. But Bacon and Ham ???

Anyway, we hit the waters at around 11. It was pretty fun. Took all the rides (there were not many in the first place) and hung around at the wave pool.

By the time we decided to leave, it was about 4 and my body was red. Needless to say, I was burnt. Real bad.

I got home about 7pm and started to put on more moisturizer. I had a few small blisters on my back. Ouch. I slept without my shirt and with my back facing the sky (ok, the ceiling).

Now, it still hurts and is also itchy. I will have to hang a sign on my back to tell everyone to back-off and not to touch me. *sigh* I am going to suffer for a week...

3 comments:

Singapore Calamari said...

Yes, I know they are certified Halal. Thus the bewilderment.

I didn't know that they have, my now infamous joke, "Halal Pork".

Pardon my ignorance of their liberal usage of Bacon and HamI didn't know the food industry doesn't follow dictionary definitions.

AcidFlask said...

Alternatively, turkey bacon and ham is also a possibility.

aeiou said...

The word 'ham' can be used on any quadruped because it refers to the hind legs only. So 'beef ham' is okay, but 'beef bacon' is stretching it too far lah.