Friday, April 29, 2005

Next Hobby Project : Change Vehicle Head-Unit

Wanted to try to change my Head Unit (The radio & CD player set) in my car to another one that can play MP3. Why DIY ? Because I have an engineering sample for free, thus I do not want to pay to try out and if I do not like it, spend money to change it back. So, DIY !!! Or should I say DIM !

This is one of the most dangerous thing I can do to my car by myself. Why ? Because I had to rip out the console/dashboard of my car before I can access the equipment panel. I had to be sure I do not break any clips/screws that hold them in place. Else I will have to scotch-tape up the interior. Not a very nice thing for a 8-month old car.

And then, I had to hook up the power cables and the speaker cables, all without short-circuiting the entire electrical system in the car ! No melt-down of battery, sparks that causes explosions or melting cables that burns up the whole vehicle. I will be very very sad and very very broke if that happens, because my insurance will not cover that.

Ok. Wait for a couple of week to see if you still hear from me...

No comments: