Tuesday, April 19, 2005

My Presentation Today ...

Spent the whole morning doing data analysis in preparation for my defense to my boss. After lunch, the presentation went on for 40 minutes.

He started by asking whether I wanted to learn or not. (And by "learning" he means he ask tough questions.)

I replied that he should decide on his own whether I need "learning" or not.

Well, had to say he didn't ask too many questions that I cannot handle. Of course, I my data defended his "accusations" that I am losing market-share to my competitors. Comparing to last year, I had gain market-share from competitors. Just maybe not as fast as we all wanted it to be.

But hey, if I can wipe out my competitors in a day or two, where will my future growth be ? Just like racing - the fun is the challenge.

Oh well, not all efforts are wasted. At least now I know where I stand in the market.

*~*~*~*~*

As I am blogging this, I can hear a mother caning her child in the next block. She was shouting and scolding the kid. I do not know what it was about so I can't comment.

But the caning, the screaming of the kid - that was really unbearable. I can hear the trashing just going on - "whack" , "whack" , "scream" , "whack" , "whack" , "holler" , "whack"

Obviously she is very angry and she thinks her kid needs to be punished.

I am a supporter of corporal and capital punishment. No matter what arguements you tell me, I will still support that.

But, no matter how naughty or disobedient a young kid (I am sure that kid is no more than 10 years old,) corporal punishment has to be metted out rationally. That is what I believe in too - That the punishment must be proportionate to the offense.

I remember how my father, though strict, always punishes me in a controlled manner.

If I were to do anything that made him really mad. He will scold (of course, who wouldn't) but he will not cane me on the spot. He will tell me to "be careful". For the next few hours, I couldn't do or think of anything other than "What kind of punishment would I get ?"

I used to think that he was just trying to make me more miserable with the anticipation of pain. But as I grew older, I came to realize why he did that.

He gave himself time to cool down, so that he will not commit the mistake that anyone in the heat of anger will do - lose control of himself and risk physical harm to me.

When he feels he is able to punish me, he will summon for me and will usually remind me why what I did was wrong (at least from his point of view) and how many strokes of the cane I will be getting. And that if I attempt to run or hide, the number of strokes will be increased.

He was, in fact, justifying the amount of punishment I will be getting for my "crime" and teaching me to face the consequences of my actions.

No comments: