Monday, December 31, 2007

Not-so-good End to 2007

Today is the last day of 2007.

And it can be spoilt by a small yawn...

Well, not really spoilt because it wasn't major and I am not going to lose sleep over it. But really made me slap myself on my forehead and go "duh"...

Was driving into office with little sleep last night. Came home way past mid-night and all.

So I was driving into my office basement carpark. Just to describe a little :

Right after entering the gate, I can either turn left 90-degrees to park at B1, or I can turn to go down a ramp to B2 (which is where I usually park.)

But the downward ramp is not straight ahead.. it is about 5 meters to the right and parrallel to way I came in through the gate. So I had to turn right like 60 degress, move a bit, the turn back so that I go straight down the ramp, and there is a concrete divider to separate up and down traffic. (And going down is on the left, so the divider is on the right side of the car.)

And since the ramp is below my horizon (as it is going downwards), and the divider is only about 10 cm high, you can imagine that drivers can't actually SEE the divider once the car is at the edge of the slope. You can see the divider while at the gate, and you can see the divider when the whole car is pointing downards. But not in between.

I am sure many people has either turned too much and hit the divider, or didn't turn enough and the LEFT side hits the curb (luckily there is a curb, otherwise cars will be scraping the wall.) Cos I can see damages in the concrete.

Now, I have been going up and down this slope with NOT A SINGLE TOUCH on either curb nor divider for the past 3 years. I am not new to this thing. It's an everyday event for me.

And today, just as I am rounding my steering and going over the edge of the slope, I had to yawn. And just for that half a second, I didn't turn my steering back fast enough.

Bang. My front right wheel hit the divider. Damn. I didn't go over the divider or anything.. Just that the divider "pushed" my wheels and my car back on track.

When I got down and inspected the wheel (hoping there was no leak or anything), I saw DEEP and wide gashes on the rims. It was quite a hard hit I can say. I can use my keys to scrap off lots of pieces of not-so-thin flakes.

*Sigh*. Well, part and parcel of driving I guess. No, I am not the type who will now go and change the rims. I will leave it as it is. Its just a car for transport. As long as it is still safe, secure, clean, comfortable and all-functions intact, I will leave comestic damages as they are.

2 comments:

Eden said...

It's dangerous to drive when you don't have enough sleep. Gave me a fright ah!

Anonymous said...

Better be careful *watch out*