Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The NEED for me to SPEED !

Ok. We all like speeding... so after I had my new toy, I have been trying to test at what speed will I confuse or make my GPS receiver knock out. (Am I crazy ?).

All the screen captures from my Nuvi. Here goes :

247km/h

247km/h. Wooo.. That was sure fast. But satellite tracking was still good... I need to go faster...

500km/h

Is this for real ?

At 500km/h, error rate is getting higher and I am losing a bit of satellite signals. More.. More !

898km/h

898km/h ?!!!!

Something must be wrong here. How can I go so fast ? And normally, 2 satellite locks is insufficient to compute location information.


So where is this place that I can get to test my Nuvi at such high speeds ? Some secret research place ? Some place where the police are sleeping ? Well, no, cos this is where I was :

Where I am speeding from

Actually, the max speed that was recorded was about 900+ km/h before all signals were lost.

So this GPS unit is definitely not used to guide missiles... Or maybe I just didn't stick my GPS near the window enough. (I wasn't seated at a window seat.)

Cos all these were taken when I was sitting near the window seat on my recent trip from Bangkok.


In Bangkok, where there are less buildings and more sky, I can get these good signals in a taxi :

Reception in BKK

3 comments:

Eden said...

ha no no, u r not crazy.
that's very You to do that =D

can drive fast in BKK meh?
tot usually quite congested =)

Singapore Calamari said...

BKK now has highways (tollways), so traffic is not too bad already.

You should go there for holiday soon.

Eden said...

been there in august, shopping trip =)

wld very much like to visit HK to eat, see, eat, see ... mebbe next yr late Feb or early Mar .. or mebbe during CNY ... since NZ is off =)

yummy place and nice cooling weather during that time ...