Thursday, September 07, 2006

Am I Disillusioned ?

I have been very cranky and fault-finding lately, but one issue remained a mystery to me.

I have always been "concerned" (being politically sensitive here) about the sheer volume of foreigners in Singapore (and I am definitely not talking about tourists). Nothing personal, just that I think it is the effects of our policies.

Many a times, when walking along the streets, I feel that I had been mysteriously transported to another country. What's worse is that it happens not in Chinatown, nor Little India, but right at local coffee shops in the heartlands.

And then I took a serious look at myself. Am I being discriminating ? I tried to think back at the times that I had encounters with foreigners.

Malaysians ? I can tell, but not much resentment or other feelings. Probably I think Malaysian and Singaporeans are not much different and we have been moving around freely.

Thais, Filipinos, Indonesians ? Other than students, most are low-wage workers. I don't feel much. I don't feel that they are invading. I don't feel much, actually.

Indians ? Can't tell FTs from local Indians. Other than the obvious labourers. The only time I discrimate them is when there are enough of them around me that reeks of unwashed sweating bodies. And come to think of it, it is not their race that I am against, just the odour. I would feel the same if the odour were to come from a bunch of Chinese construction workers (be they Singaporeans or Malaysians).

MLC (Main Land Chinese) ? Yes ! These are the people that irritates me the most. I can't give an exact reason. Is it their LOUD presence ? Is it their INTRUSIVE behavour ? I really do not know. Or am I just a nationalist (as opposed to a racist), that I dislike all MLCs ? What is it that they did to me that I dislike ? This is something I want to find out.

Someone told me it is their loudness, and their way of imposing their culture onto us. A little bit of truth in it, just like how I would hate to sit in a bus along Little India when all the Indian workers decided to re-enact a scene from a bus in Bangalore by squeezing beyond the laws of physics.

But that can't be the whole thing. I still do not automatically dislike all Indian workers, just during those irritating moments.

But for the MLCs, they have hit my nerves so much, that the moment they open their mouths, I feel irritated. Or maybe, it is true that I hate their loud, obnoxious way of speaking ?

Something for me to ponder over...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I think we are just not used to the MLC being so loud. I have some of them in my class, trust me, they bother a lot of us, esp. with their loudness, with total disregard to the fact that there are people in the class who would like some peace and quiet before the class starts.

As for being whether we are discriminating esp. towards them, good question. I think it could be due partly to the fact that there are so many of them working amongst us and doing pretty well and also, partly due to our policies.

Justikanz said...

They are LOUD.

And irritating because of that!

Almost 10 years ago, when there are not so many of them, they are not like that... They tend to keep to themselve and when mingling with us locals, they will behave meekly... and they will try to blend in...

Now, there are SO MANY of them, they seem to not think about blending into our culture. They seem to think that we SHOULD be the ones blending into their culture. They talk loudly, laugh loudly, complain about us loudly, push us around, fight fiercely to squeeze up the bus, fight fiercely for a seat, stand VERY CLOSE to you whenever they can... *Sigh*...

And I wonder why our government actually keep encouraging their entry without proper planning for them to be engaged and blended in our culture. Maybe they should spend a week living as commoners like us... :\

Eden said...

I dislike MLC all along too! Almost all that I had encounters with are lousy!

Yes, Loud and disrespectful is one thing i can't stand. Next is their greediness and 'yiao gui' nature that i can't stand too.

I noticed a negro family (i think 2 guys only) living in the same block as i do but they look quiet, humble and down to earth (so far)... compared to the family who lived abv me (s'porean guy married a MLC and had 3 kids who are worst as they are louder than their parents, running & screaming ard the corridor, and even pluck all the leaves off one of my plant!) I really felt disgraced living with such MLC or even being next to them. Gee, am i being discriminating too ?!?!

Patricea Chow-Capodieci said...

I recently mentioned the same topic in a blog entry: http://asian-in-asia.blogspot.com/2007/03/truly-displaced.html

While our grandparents came from China, three generations later and our culture is entirely different from that of MLCs. I rather be mistaken for a Taiwan Chinese or Hong Kong Chinese any day...

Here in Italy, there are many MLCs; those who have to work and deal with Italians have mastered the language while others have insisted on speaking in their own dialects. The husband has learned not to refer to them as 'my cousins' and I have made it a point to always be heard speaking English.

I cannot pinpoint why I dislike ('dislike' is already a very kind word used here) them, other than them being loud. Perhaps it is the way they behave, pushing people, eyeing you intently and being overly curious about everything. Perhaps it is the knowledge of their dirty habits which they bring over here too.