Thursday, August 24, 2006

I took security for granted...

... and I was lucky.

This has been nagging in my mind for a few days already, but I couldn't figure out until this morning during my shower. I don't know why I can think of it while still sleepy. Power of sub-conscious mind.

Few days ago, I parked at Harbourfront centre for a meeting. After the meeting, when I just sat in my car and started the engine and fiddling with my Nuvi, a white van stopped in front of me, with the driver looking at me saying something. But I can't hear.

So I opened my door, stepped out and the driver repeated, asking me if I want to buy a cheap home entertainment system.

Now, I have read about these scams on forums, as well as in the newspapers. I know they are out to cheap money with their not-so-great systems. I just shook my head and hopped back into my car.

Simple steps. Nothing happened to me, of course but I was still not satisfied with the way I handled the whole affair. No, not that I should have reported to the authority or something... I have always believed in handling matters myself (but of course, not taking the laws into my own hands.)

Firstly, I should have suspected about the scam, since I have heard of it. Instead, I thought it was a driver who was asking for directions.

Secondly (and more seriously), I didn't check my surroundings before I stepped out of the car. What if it was not the scam, but someone trying to rob me ? (Although my not locking the car door is another point altogether.)

It is one thing that Singapore is safe. It is another, than when an already suspicious character was around, I didn't "raise my alert level" and take necessary precautions, like looking to see if someone was lurking behind me, waiting to club me on the head when I stepped out or popped my head out.

This was the one thing that bugged me. After sitting back into my car, I KNOW I missed out on something. This was it. I hope I don't need to be robbed to drill this into my mind - That I should not be complacent. If I do not practise this, I will forget when I go overseas and to places that are of higher crime rates.

5 comments:

Eden said...

Aiyo, my heart beats very fast while reading from the top ... luckily you realised the 'danger' at the end .. and so glad nothing happens. *phew* ... pls be more alert wor ... er ... which i know u've always been .. are u being too tired or unwell?

Singapore Calamari said...

I am ok. Not tired or anything, but probably just reacted out of instinct. Didn't really think and consider.

Hope my instinct will be better tuned when I am overseas.

Eden said...

=) ...
so any good news for you yet ?

Singapore Calamari said...

Huh ? What good news ?

Eden said...

Australia ?