Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Updates from Banyan Tree

*sigh*

Finally can have a short sigh of relief for a while.

Yesterday has been hectic, but luckily I had outsourced most of the hard work. I have people flying in from morning all the way till past mid-night :

  1. Ensuring everyone gets on their proper transport,
  2. Ensuring everyone checks into their rooms,
  3. Ensuring everyone has their customized welcome package with T-shirts and name-tags in their rooms,
  4. Hearing about how my President's economy seat is the only one on the place that has NO TV set (is that even possible ?)
  5. How he has to be the lucky one to get that seat, if it is indeed true.
  6. How my President changed his room because it faced the main road and he is afraid of noise, (And how my CTO stays just 1 level above, but he said the room is quiet).
  7. How my President is anxious that his boss (my CEO) arrives nicely and well taken care of, try to book a masseur for him, etc,
  8. Still chasing some presenters for their slides,
  9. Touching up their slides to ensure readability in large conference room,
  10. Ensuring that more food is prepared as many feedback (including from my CEO) that fingerfood, though free flow, is not filling,
  11. Ensuring that the Thai delegates (who didn't have visa from their wifes to stay in hotel) gets their packages before they leave the welcome cocktail,
  12. Putting up seating arrangements for 96 seats,
  13. Ensuring a spare notebook with all the slides updated and ready to replace the primary notebook in case of failures,
  14. Very glad that I was asleep when my organizers were welcoming 21 guests at 2am and changing T-shirt sizes of those who couldn't fit into their XXL.

And today, I think the opening of the conference ran ok, except my President was sitting beside me and asking me lots of questions that he would have the answers to, if he bothered to read our painstakenly-produced guidebooklet for all.

The conference overshot by 45 minutes, had to rush the golfers off to their course. Now, I am just hoping that they can make it back in time for dinner plans (at 8pm). But I guess, with the traffic, and the late start, I am asking for too much. I just hope they are not too late in joining us for the offical opening dinner.

Re-arranged the seating arrangements for tomorrow, ensuring everyone has opportunities to sit with their respective sales people (and it has to be fair, because some customers are easily jealous of competitors being the "favoured") and ensuring everyone alternates between sitting near the screen and far away from the screen.

Now I am in my room (finally !) a couple of hours of breather, hopefully I can catch a nap, while I hope tonight's events turns out well.

2 and a half more days to go...
A hundred and one things can go wrong...

I still have yet to memorize and rehearse my slides for my presentation on Friday...
2 more presenters on that day have yet to give me their slides...

No comments: