Tuesday, October 18, 2005

What is "Kian" ?

Last night, was waiting for a couple of friends to arrive at a local Duck Rice stall for dinner. I was there first and waited for them.

I was hungry, so I ordered the food first. Duck meat, Toufu, Sambal KangKong, Egg but no Duck Spare-parts.

Then my friend SMS me for "Chicken Kian". Chicken Kian ? What the heck is a Chicken Kian ?
I looked back at the stall banner, and it says Duck Rice & Porridge.

So I messaged back : Chicken ? Are you going to the wrong stall ?

The reply : Sorry. Quack Quack Kian.

And I hesitated in ordering the duck Kian. My friend, R, went and ordered. The Kian arrived.
A few minutes later, my friends, H and P, also arrived. We ate.

I asked what is a Kian. No one could give me a definite answer. Guesses of kidney, liver, lungs, but still no conclusion. After eating it, I still didn't know what it was.

~*~*~*~*~

We finished our dinner and settled in a nearby cafe. Ordered cakes and drinks. After our food and drinks arrived, we are short of a spoon and 2 forks. So I went to the counter to get the missing crockery (no, they are not utensils, as most Singaporeans would have them.)

Me : Excuse me, can I have a spoon and 2 forks please ?

Lady : *stares at me, with mouth ajar* Huuuh ???!!!!

Me : Can I have a spooooon, and *rasies 2 fingers* 2 forrrrkk *fingers makes jabbing motion* ?

Lady : Oh. Ok.

She proceeds to get them for me.

From her stare at me, and her louder than normal "Huh" back at me, I figured she thought she heard me say some swear words at her. Or she thought I was trying to get fresh with her.

So much for speaking good English. I think next time, I will stick to the usual Singlish : "Can I have a spoon and 2 fox, please ?"

~*~*~*~*~

Soon, the conversation turned back to the unsettled Kian.

P : So, what was the Kian ah ? Nice right ?

R : Ee. I don't eat spare parts one. And he was still wondering whether to order or not.

Me : Of course lah ! I don't know what is that. Later don't have, kenna suan. So malu.

P : Huh. You also will be embarrassed one meh ?

H : Of course lah.

Me : Of course lah ! You think I so thick-skinned one meh ? First chicken Kian, then duck Kian. How I know whether duck got Kian or not ?

H : Hello. They are both ducks what...

Me : Huh ? Both are ducks ?

H : No no.. Both are fowls.

Me : Eh. Just because the are both fowls doesn't mean they have the same thing ok.

H : They have the same intestines and organs mah.

Me : Is it ?

H looks at me in a challenging manner. I think for about 20 seconds...

Me : Eh. Chicken have the *put palm vertically on head, fingers pointing up* but the duck don't have mah !

P : *shrieks* hahaha. You mean chicken that part.. the crown.. can eat one meh ?

H & R were laughing

Me : No lah. What I mean is, I don't know what Kian is mah. Maybe only chicken have, but duck don't have leh ? Or even if they have, maybe the duck one is not served as food leh. Like you eat chicken feet, but you don't eat duck feet mah.

H : But got goose webbed-feet being served what.

Me : But that is goose lah. Also, like got duck's tongue, but I don't see chicken's tongue being served. Chicken don't have tongue right ?

H, P and R all laughs loudly. I think the whole cafe is looking at us.

Me : Wait.. ok.. So chicken have tongue, but they are not served as food right ? So that is what I mean, just because duck may have Kian, doesn't mean they are served as food mah. I don't dare to ask wait kenna laughed at by people...

H, P and R continued laughing.

Me : Yeah what. You guys get my point, right ?

~*~*~*~*~

So I have made my point...I think...
And I have tasted the duck Kian, but I still have no idea what it is ...

No comments: