Thursday, June 07, 2007

My Gadgets and My Luck...

I have recently purchased a WD MyBook Premium edition. Got it at the PC Show with more discounts.

Yesterday, went to buy a 1394 cable (4p-6p) to use on my notebook.

And it is always my luck that my newly purchased IT products are never perfect.

First, my notebook had a strange "smear" on the screen that I cannot clean.
It was replaced by Dell on Monday afternoon. The new replacement had a similar defect, this time, it looked like a short strand of hair was stuck there.. Had it replaced again yesterday morning. At least this time it seems fine.

Then I went home last night and found that I cannot use MyBook with the new 1394 cable, even after I have installed the driver for it.

Then I thought : MyBook is faulty, the cable is faulty or my notebook is faulty.

So I brought the whole thing to my office.

I tried in on my office notebook's 1394 port - not working.
I asked around for other 1394 cable - none.
I asked around for any other 1394 devices I try with my notebook - none.

I was almost at my wits end. Then I spied the eMac sitting at someone's desk.

I took the MyBook's bundled 1394 cable (6p-6p) to try it out on the Mac. It works !
So MyBook is ok !
And unless both 1394 ports of my own notebook and my office notebook are faulty, it is now 95% chance of faulty cable.

*Sigh*

Maybe next time I shouldn't buy el cheapo cables... ?

Update as at 4.30pm :

I went down to the shop, tried out other cables of the same brand (rather, the same non-brand). All didn't work. At least the shop was good enough to refund me, as they do not have stock for their "higher-end" cable.

Went to another shop, bought a slightly more expensive looking cable, tested it on the spot with MyBook. IT WORKS !

Moral of the story : Really, do NOT get el-cheapo cables to save a few bucks. AT least, make sure the cable is of good quality (read : not as flexible, with knobs at the end that is supposed to be EMI shield).

No comments: