Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Me at Work with my New Toy

Ok. So I have gotten my new toy. What do I want to do with it ?





My first requirement is to make it a multi-channel DVR for my car.
I guess this will explain why I want it much smaller than a normal PC. And also why I want a fanless board - to reduce noise.

Still waiting for my Video Capture Card from the supplier.

Will attempt to make the whole thing work on WinXP first. If performance is not good, then I will attempt Linux. Afterall, I am no Linux expert ; Do the easy one first.




Initially, booting up without any software installed takes about 45-50 seconds.
POST - 9 seconds (include auto-detect IDE for CD-ROM. Will be out in actual deployment)
WinXP Splash screen - 10-15 seconds.
Starting of OS till desktop available - 25 seconds.

Not a very good speed for embedded system.

But I am running it off 128MB for now, and have just disabled all useless services. I think upgrading to 512MB will make it load faster.

No comments: