Saturday, August 27, 2005

48 Hours

48 Hours to my 2 weeks break in Brisbane and Gold Coast.

General itinerary will bring me to watch Whales, feed dolphins, get drunk in wineries, have fun on roller-coasters and of course the sun and the sea.

Taking this trip is going to be another test of my phobia. The history goes something like this :

I took on a new portfolio in late 2001. Being a novice/greenhorn in sales, I took my 2 weeks holiday in New Zealand. In my haste to get everything worked out before I go, I made mistakes. Huge mistakes.

On the day I was going to fly off, I got a call from my colleague that my boss was furious with me. On the 1st day of my trip, I was told that my boss had to retract my commitments to my customers. I decided then that I want to receive no more phone calls and do not want to waste my time & money being sulky and sad in the faraway land.

I managed to enjoy myself and put the troubles behind me for a while, until the day I was sitting in the airport waiting to come home. It was dreadful.

My first day back at work, I was removed from sales and put back into my old position. At least, I didn't lose my job.

So from that experience, I have a phobia for taking extended holidays. I took one in April earlier this year (see my previous entries on my Perth trip) and this will be my second.

The feeling that something might just go wrong during my trip that will cost my job. The feeling that I might have overlooked something in my haste to depart. The feeling that my career will end the moment I touch down in foreign land.

I know it is irrational, that is why it is called "phobia".

Anyway, the last trip was fine. This trip I hope will be the same.

No comments: