Friday, July 21, 2006

Bad News... and a Tribute to a Friend

Monday (17th July 2006), I received news in the afternoon that one of my very good friend, KOP, has passed away suddenly, in Australia.

His housemates has found him on Monday morning.

No news yet of any causes for now, as it is too soon for any conclusions, I guess.

His funeral will be in Perth on 25th July 2006. This is according to his wishes of remaining in Australia.

His family has gotten flights over, but a few of us close friends are still trying all means to secure tickets.

*~*~*~*~*

I was at a loss, total loss for a while.

All that came to my mind were flash backs of our crazy uni days in NTU, road trips in Malaysia, road trips in Australia, and days of getting drunk at home. Not forgetting our intellectual discussions on life, finances, philosophies, work and the world in general.

I started calling all of our mutual friends, those that I have numbers of. It was hard to repeat it over and over again. Each time I do that, it brings me new experience, new flash backs.

Here is a friend, who seemingly have nothing going smoothly his way while he was in Singapore. Experiencing retrenchments one after another (through no fault of his. Just too many mergers and acquisitions and down-sizing).

Here is a friend, who has the intelligence to see through almost every plot and every system there is, and able to find loopholes. However, his intelligence was not tuned towards academic results.

Here is a friend, who has similar thoughts and analysis of many things as I, but he has always managed to put thoughts into actions faster than I do. (And perhaps, like he always said, we have just found evidence in each other to reinforce our beliefs.)

Here is a friend, who has been a great inspiration to me, but I guess he never knew it, because I never actually told him so.

Here is a friend, who has overcome many many obstacles in his life, that I secretly envy his courage and strength, never sure whether I would be able to take the same kind of blows as he did.

Here is a friend, who finally got out of the crippling system and has tried his best to establish a new life for himself and D.

Here is a friend, who had to live 1 year alone without D, and seems to have put everything in place for D's arrival early next year.

Here is a friend, who finally seemed to be so much happier, so much more free time, so much more to look forward to, and so much more going his way.

Here is a friend, who introduced me to Babylon 5, Futurama, and having fun with flames in liquor bottles that we have just emptied, and other interesting things in life.

Now, just when I was about to tease him to fulfil one of our ancient never-got-around-it task - to pay money for someone to tell us that we are stupid (take the Mensa IQ test), I will never know what his score will be.

Now, just when his encouragement and taunts has removed my procrastination, I will no longer be able to fulfil my dream of living in Australia, together.

I have suddenly lost one of the rare few guiding lights that I have in my life.

Life doesn't seem to be very fair to him. He led a hard life, taking everything that life has thrown him. Worked his way to get what he wanted, and just when things are finally turning out for the better, he is no longer able to enjoy the fruits of his labour.

I really hope KOP managed to get a taste of absinthe as he so desired, one year ago. (See blog comments section)

I also hope that he has managed to find Kolo Mee in Perth (See blog comments section)

May his soul rest in peace.

30 comments:

Amazonian said...

Oh my God... what happened.. pls email me... please... Amazonian

Goat Almighty said...

oh my God... i only met the guy last nov... this is so sudden...

i was also supposed to link up with him in perth, or at least that's the plan...

he is in a better place now. much better than anything on Earth. much better than perth.

please send my condolences to his family and D.

thank you.

calamityman.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I am shocked.

A blogger that I had high admiration had given up the ghost? May he rest in peace. He is the only Singapore blogger that I read with very keen interest and who can articulate his thought on his whole migration process.

If you have any updates, please let me know.

My condolences to KOP's family and D.

Anonymous said...

Couldn't add a link, but here's mine

The Passing of the Serf

Anonymous said...

Must be a very sad and trying times for D, his family and close friends.

My tribute:
Good Night, Good Knight

takchek said...

Mine:

http://takchek.blogspot.com/2006/07/passing-of-singapore-serf-aka-knight.html

Patricea Chow-Capodieci said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Patricea Chow-Capodieci said...

We have not met, but ever since he left his first comment on my blog last January 13th, I have been constantly captivated by the Knight's wit and insight about life.

We have both been through similar experiences in certain points in life and I guess that was how we connected through the blog-sphere, to the point where he even shared his real name with me.

If you could, please send my condolences to those nearest and dearest to him, and tell them how he touched me in his own small way and that he will definitely be missed.

Kevin said...

I don't know KOP personally, but he sounded like a pretty swell guy. I've bumped into him in the blogosphere before and didn't know he went through all those trials and turbulations. I hope he find peace and happiness wherever he is now.

Han said...

I am absolutely stunned.

I met him over the internet, through the blogosphere. He commented on my blog a few times, and through that I discovered our common interest in Babylon 5. I also found out that we shared the same anti-authoritarian streak.

I have been following his blog for so long, and he has always overcome the difficulties and obstacles that he faced.

I liked and admired him as a person, from what could glean from his blog.

And now he is gone.

I can't believe it.

-ben said...

There's always a sense of unflappable optimism about him.

The world is left poorer without him.

Have a good trip, KOP.

Han said...

My tribute here.

Good bye KoP, see you on the other side.

Anthony said...

Farewell, Serf.

I'm glad you died living your dream. I pray one day I will do the same.

Bernard Leong said...

I am sorry to hear that, even though I have not me him personally. I have been caught in discussions with him on several occasions.

Good bye KoP.

Goat Almighty said...

my sister, Amazonian's tribute to K.O.P: http://vineyaard.blogspot.com/2006/07/see-ya-knight-of-pentacles.html

Anonymous said...

It is sad and upsetting to hear of his passing.

Here is my tribute to him:

http://samaryn.com/2006/07/22/passing-of-the-serf/

Unknown said...

dreams are the touchstones of our character ~~ henry david thoreau

here's to the true knight of pentacles. for living his dreams.

you were our inspiration.

Tym said...

Hi,
Can you please convey our condolences to KoP's family and D? Some of us were avid readers and followers of his blog, and we will deeply, deeply miss him.

Anonymous said...

May he find a better and happier place.

Anonymous said...

i miss his blog entries..

Anonymous said...

i was wondering why he din update his blog for so long, and i'm just gonna leave his URL in my favorites folder. he had been my inspiration b'cos i'm following what he had done:- crossing the border. and actually, i'm sitting here wondering if it's still true. he was such a good bloke to reply to my emails.

knight, u've definitely gone to a better world. but people here are gonna miss u. =( pls convey my deepest condolences to his family and D.

Vera said...

i'm shocked to hear this....
i don't know what else to say really... but i was really enjoying reading his blog...

Anonymous said...

This is so sad. Thanks Angie for informing us about the memorial service.

Anonymous said...

Farewell my friend.
I am sure your fighting spirit will always stay amongst us.

Anonymous said...

This comes as a real shock to me.

I've been following his blog for a long time and I've always thought that for a person with an IT background, he articulates his thoughts so well (better than most Singaporeans and ST journalists for sure).

When he first arrived in Perth, I had e-mailed him to try to link him up to get a job in the Perth IT sector. That wasn't successful, but KOP was a resourceful person and he managed to land the pizza job and a second job. I honestly told him that to get 2 jobs in the space of 6 months upon landing in Perth was a great achievement. It didn't matter that the jobs didn't have some highfaluting titles or pay. Like our forefathers who first came to S'pore, KOP was prepared to get his hands dirty (metaphorically speaking) and get a headstart on life down under.

Although I didn't actually meet him, I think he finally found the inner 'peace' that he was looking for, renting a place close to Cottlesloe beach and getting his first car. For the first time, he probably really felt free from the constraints of Singapore.

I know what some government-aligned people in Singapoe are already thinking: "This is what you get when you try to quit Singapore to search for your Shangri-la. He would still have been alive if he had stayed on in Singapore (even as a serf). So don't take risks and leave Singapore. It's not worth it."

But this reminds me of the Mexican film, "Like chocalate, like water" where even a moment of true happiness is better than living a life in which you're unfulfilled.

And I really believe that KOP had his many precious moments of true happiness in the last few months of his life.

(By the way, can someone quickly post the details of his memorial service? Some former Singaporeans in Perth might want to pay our respects.)

Singapore Calamari said...

Dear All,

I understand everyone's desire to know more, and to pay respects to KOP.

However, he has been very insistent in keeping his cyber identity and cyber life away from his family.

As such was his way of living, I do hope everyone understands and respect his desire to keep it this way.

And continue to remember him online.

Anonymous said...

Really sad to hear this. also a fellow emigrant , I have been following his journey to Perth online. I fully understand his happiness walking on the beach , enjoying the sunset etc. I recently sent him an email updating him on the Brown/MICA incident. He replied asking if I'd like to contribute an article for him. I regret my procrastination in replying to him and wishing him and D the best. KOP , I meant to tell you I'd love to contribute something to your website, but it had to be worthy of being published by you. I meant to tell you that with your courage and intelligence and love for D, everything would turn out for good. My condolences to D and the family of KOP. He shared so much with fellow Singaporeans in his blog. I will miss his writing and his zest for life...

Anonymous said...

Calamari, whatever u said about KoP, i feel the same way too - he has been an inspiration to me. Didnt get to meet him personally, though - but his thoughts and his writings have definitely been an inspiration for me.

Pls send my condolences to his family and D (i'm only so sorry that i wont be able to make it for the memorial), or if not (i read what u have to say about his desire to keep his cyber identity secrety from his family), i will definitely do my part to continue to remember him online....

May he rest in peace!!!!

Anonymous said...

Just came to know this. My condolences to sgserf and his family....

zeen said...

Just read about this...

Even though it has been a few years now, just wanted to comment that his posts have also touched a cord in me.