Sunday, September 07, 2008

Battery Life Update

I have been able to use my E71 for 2 days only with one full charge. Claims and many people who say they can go 3 to 4 days on one charge made me investigate more - Do I have a faulty battery or a faulty phone ? 

First of all, I noticed that 8 hours in the office, and it doesn't even drop a single bar. Not that I noticed.

Then when I get home at 6 and by 10 or 11, I noticed it dropped 2 bars. (E71 has 7 Bars for battery indicator.)

I have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on the same setting all the time. And I do have an AP that it connects to at work. My VoIP is enabled on Wi-Fi all the time too. And I get more push mail during office hours.

So, it should drop more when I am in the office. Why does it seem to use more juice when I am at home ?
I downloaded Nokia's Energy Profiler to monitor power usage.

So far, on average during standby, it is consuming about 0.10 to 0.12 W. With everything ON ! This seems reasonable. Battery indicator says that with this kind of average, I can get 50+ hours on a full charge. That's about 2 days, which is what I am getting.

1500mAH battery, 3.7V rated (4.07V when fully charged, 3.8V when half power) - 0.029A drawn at 0.11W usage =>  51.724 hrs

However, on active usage (check mails, SMS, Synchronize via Bluetooth) for 3 mins, the average is 0.25W => 0.066A => 22 hrs.

So if on average, 70% of the time it is on standby, 30% active => Average power = 0.15W => 0.04A => 37.5 hours. Roughly there I guess.

So last night, I left the software on to collect information. This is what it shows at various times.

Midnight :



Average of about 0.02 Watts. That's good. I don't know what the regular 30 minutes interval spike of 0.3W, nor do I know what the 2-hour interval spikes of 1.3W.

My only guess is that it has to be Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and GSM related.

Early Morning :



Now the scale is changed.

At 9am, the SEVEN push mail client is supposed to connected to the Server. And I think there were a couple of emails pushed down. They used about 1.5W.

From then on, there is a regular 5-min interval spike to 0.6W. I really do not know what is set at 5 min interval.

I woke up about 9.45 to check on the phone. Thus the backlight was active and had some activities. And I regularly check on the phone to see the data-capture, thus irregular spikes of 1.4W.

Then I sent and SMS at 10:40am, and received SMS a couple of mins after that.
And at 12:05pm I sent SMS and had received missed calls. (Repeated in next chart.)

Noon :



The said SMSes and Missed Calls, using about 3W for Ringtone, Vibrator and lights.

Still the regular 5-min spikes of 0.6W that is unknown.
Between 12:25 to 2pm, I was at the same location for lunch, thus it was just that and my checking on the phone (about 1.2W spikes).

Afternoon :



You can see that I am checking on the phone quite often (1.2W spikes)
Probably a couple of emails that came in as well, which I can't remember when.

Parts of high usage (3:19-3:21 and 3:23-3:24) which I don't know what, cos I was shopping around that time. Maybe the phone was in my pocket and it had bad GSM signal and trying to connect ?

3:53pm onwards, I am probably on the road, from what I can remember.

Evening :



Spikes of about 1.5W, probably due to phone roaming while I was driving. Reached home at 4+. I turned on the AP about 4:30pm.

So you can see that when it detects the AP (I set WLAN scanning interval to 10-min.) it starts logging on and connecting my VoIP.

From then on, you can see the base-line has shifted up. From 0.02W to about 0.05W.

The 5-min spikes of 0.6W (now obviously 0.65W) is still there. So it is not WLAN scanning.. Wonder what it is...

I remembered a couple of emails got pushed down as well, just not sure when.

When the log was downloaded, the Average power usage was 0.06W and the estimated runtime for a full battery was 100+ hours. Wonderful !

Well, its been turned on for 36 hours now and there is 4/7 bars left. Looks like it might last another 24 hours. Hmmm.. just when I am investigating the battery, it looks like its starting to behave...

For the past 2 hours, I logged it with Wi-Fi connected, VoIP connected and some emails arriving. Average power consumption was 0.09W and at this constant usage, full Battery is estimated to last 62+ hours...

No comments: