Monday, April 07, 2008

1st Week in OZ. Updates

First week was sort of stressful. Especially in the rental section.

Paperwork in Australia is almost quite unwelcoming for newcomers. Most of the paperwork seems like a catch-22 situation. For example, you need a residential address to apply for a driving licence, bank accounts, etc. And I can't get a rental unless a bank statement is attached to the rental application.

Definitely need local assistance to start off.

Rentals are all taken up, and prices are higher than I anticipated. Tight supply and lots of demand in Sydney. Had to activate my 'backup plan' and rent from a close friend.

So definitely had a few bad night sleep due to this stress.

Haven't had time to do any sightseeing.

On the plus side, I bought a new car. Ford Focus Ghia Sedan for about A$28k. Nice, comfortable with all the bells and whistles. Going to pay in full and getting it in a couple of days time. In time for me to get around, get my stuff, and get to work.

Once my new place is ready, I will have to spend another bomb on furnishings. Beds, Sofas, TV, Dining Table & Chairs...

Oh and I already have my NSW driving licence. Talk about efficiency. I filled in the form, queued up, have my photo taken by their computer, and have my credit-card sized licence issued all within the hour (including queue time). Lets see how fast you get your licence in oh-so-efficient Singapore.

Anyway, am now in my new office for a couple of hours, just to get to know the people and the place, and to download emails on my PC.... :)

Guess the next update will be another weeks time, when I start working.

2 comments:

Eden said...

One week already, so fast !!

Hee, people already starting to compare the goodness of OZ with S'pore liao. =P

Wow, the car is not too ex! Show us pics of it when u r not so busy.

Take care of your health admist all these stress ... take things slowly n enjoy the process =)

Anonymous said...

Wow.. Ford Focus Ghia... Nice car....:) I know....I drive one :)

Can't find a rental...You didn't include being a beach bum in Bondi or Manly beaches in your backup...:)

Jokes aside....I hope you settle down real quick....rushing around is no joke in Oz...check your weight lately? You might have lost a couple of kilos.