Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Obligatory Remarks about Death

After keeping quiet for so long, I guess I need to just speak up a little now.

I do not agree with the Death Penalty. It serves no rehabilitation purposes, and I believe it doesn't deter much.

Murders are not going to increase/decrease with or without the death penalty. Afterall, most murders took place at the heat of the moment - emotionally charged and no time to think about the death penalty. And mostly they think they can claim emotionally incapacitated by not controlling themselves.

For the premeditated ones, all precautions have been taken to avoid being caught - death or no death. I mean, if I really hate someone and wants to kill him/her, I will try all means to hide my identity - even if it is life imprisonment. Aferall, I hope to get on with my life.

For drugs, I believe many of those mules are forced into it - certain death of family member if they were to reject, or possible death by hanging if caught.

Afterall, how many of those who carry drugs drives BMWs and live in landed property ? Those who are really rich from the drugs, are enjoying themselves in large palaces with private army for security.


*~*~*~*~*

From previous famous cases in the press, it seems that in Singapore, I cannot consult legal advise until the police concludes their investigation. (Remember the recent Filipino maid charged for murder of another maid ?) [read : My opinion is that I cannot see my lawyer until I have confessed to the crimes, either by beating it out of me, or by sleep deprivation.]

I have the rights to remain silent, and I still have my rights to an attorney.. Catch is I need to choose just one.

*~*~*~*~*

And I travel via Changi airport frequently, where my lugguage is out of my supervision. What if one day, someone in the chain uses my luggage to carry the drugs, and somehow, missed a satchet in my luggage.

And then I am caught with it...

*shudder*


*~*~*~*~*

Just heard that our executioner, who was identified by Australian press recently, has been fired.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4477012.stm

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey there calamari man. read your comments on mrdarren's site regarding the death sentence. just wanted to say that i like the way you write and the way you think. i figure in a country where we're all talk and no action, at least a compliment on your prose (no molotov cocktail throwing riots here) may help to make your day, and perhaps also the mere fact that there are others who agree with you, word for word. nice going.